Babies and toddlers enjoy bath time. And, bath toys make bathing more fun for kids. The situation becomes gloomy when you notice black mould spreading on the toy. Although bath toys are used in water, they still need proper cleaning.
Did you know water helps bacteria and fungus to grow on a wet or moisturised surface?
It would be best to wash bath toys regularly after a bath. And if you don’t know the proper way to wash them thoroughly, this article will help you.
Why is Cleaning Bath Toys Necessary?
Poor water sanitation is a serious concern in Pakistan. Tap water which we use to bathe children contain contaminants and microorganisms that directly or indirectly cause health problems. A study conducted on the Water Sanitation Problem In Pakistan highlighted the same issue.
Most bath toys are made of plastic which provides a medium for fungus and bacterium to stick and grow on it. As kids put bath toys in their mouths, the presence of mould and germs on toys can cause different types of body diseases.
Scientists believe that these germs are the reason behind ear, eye, or stomach infections in babies.
Moreover, a study on biofilm by Frederik Hammes at the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science finds that the bathroom is the ideal place to grow the fungus and other harmful bacteria.
Also Read: New Parents Checklist – What Should You Buy Before Baby Arrives
Step by Step Guide To Clean Your Baby Bath Toys
Cleaning bathtubs and bathers as well as bathing toys is a must-do activity. In this section, we have discussed the step-by-step guide to wash and clean bath toys with sanitising products available at home.
Boil It In Hot Water
Hot water is the perfect way to sanitise anything. We use hot water to wash other baby products like feeders, nipples, or napkins, but we ignore baby bath toys. Because we give minor importance to these when it comes to hygiene.
Here is how you can wash baby bath accessories and toys using hot water.
- Take a large pot in which the toy can sunken.
- Add water in the pot.
- Boil water and then add all rubber or hard plastic bath toys.
- Sink the toys in the water for some time.
- After that, wipe the toys thoroughly and let them dry in the open air.
Caution: Do not boil the toys for too long as toys made of poor plastic will melt due to high temperature.
Sanitise With Bleach
Babies try to bite everything, especially toys. That’s why sanitization is needed for all baby items. If you are not satisfied with the boiling water method, you can use bleach for disinfecting and deep cleansing of all toys.
- First, take some precautions because bleach is a harsh chemical, so wear gloves and a facemask.
- Add 1 gallon of water to the pot and add 1 by 10th part of bleach.
- After making a water bleach solution, soak the toys in bleach water.
- Sink the toys in that mixture for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Now the most crucial part is to completely dry toys. You don't want your child to lick bleach toys again. To prevent any hazard, drain all the water from inside. The simple way is; first clean and then rinse.
- After rinsing, dry the toys thoroughly.
Caution: Bleach is a harsh chemical; so if you’re using it as a disinfectant, you have to make sure it is wiped and cleaned thoroughly from the surface of the toy. Moreover, bleach dulls the colour and material of the toy. Use bleach at your own risk. We don't recommend it.
Use Vinegar As Disinfectant
Vinegar is a reliable option for cleaning baby bath toys. However, it is not good at killing germs as compared to bleach. You don't have to wear gloves and masks because vinegar is a light chemical. Here are the simple steps.
- Add the same amount of water and vinegar in any pot and make their solution.
- Add some baking powder or essential oil to reduce the vinegar smell from the toys.
- Sink the toys in the mixture for more than 15 minutes and rinse off.
Caution: Do not add too much vinegar in the solution. Make sure to rinse and air dry the toys after treating them with vinegar.
Soak In Dishwashing Soap
If you don't want to use chemicals, then you can follow the simple traditional way to clean baby toys, i.e. using dishwashing soap.
- Add lukewarm water in a pot.
- Mix some dishwashing soap in it.
- Sink the toys in the water.
- Leave them for 15 minutes.
- Take out the toys and wipe them with a clean piece of cloth.
- Dry in the air.
Caution: Always check the water temperature before sinking toys in it. Also wear gloves for protection.
Safe and Convenient Bath Toys For Babies and Toddlers
The most challenging task for parents is to bathe their little angel. After a full, busy day it is not an easy job to bathe a baby. But you can make it less complicated by using different toys to engage the baby and make their bath time fun. You can use the following toys to make bathing easy and comfortable.
- Little Floating Numbers & Letters - These toys make bath time fun. It also makes bathing enjoyable and is also a good learning activity for preschoolers.
- The Rubber Duck Bath Toy - It is the best partner for a baby in the bathtub. Baby can squeeze or bite this squishy toy. The rubber duck is a classic bath toy that is easy to grab for an infant's hand.
- Mini Boat Toy - It is the perfect toy to engage a baby in bathing. The floating boat attracts infants and helps parents to bathe their babies hustle-free.
- Swim Turtle - It is a masterpiece bath toy originally-look like a turtle; it can swim in the water. The swim turtle giggles at your toddler and lets them enjoy bathing.
- Water Bubble Gun - It creates hundreds of bubbles around your baby while bathing making bath time a great experience for kids.
Also Read: 5 Tips to Buy Safe Toys for Infants and Toddlers
It is the top chance for baby bath toys to catch mould more than any other toys. They sink in the water and then dry in the open air, which is an ideal atmosphere for fungus. It is very important to never ignore the hygiene of bath toys because such carelessness can harm your baby's health. You can wash bath toys with any of the cleaning methods mentioned above once a week or twice as convenient for you. If your baby has a low immune system, we advise you to wash their accessories and toys regularly.